Upon request from relevant institutions, ACTC provides technical assistance – in the form of advisory services – for the inclusion of climate change technologies into policy and institutional reforms.
To this scope, the African Climate Technology Centre (ACTC) put in place a framework contract implemented by six firms (three for adaptation and three for mitigation) to respond to requests of technical assistance by governments and public institutions.
For Mitigation - technical assistance requests may include:
- Assistance with the development, updating and implementation of national or regional policies and strategies for scaling-up the transfer of climate-friendly technologies in the Energy sector.
- Assessment and recommendation of measures to improve the enabling environment for renewable energy, energy efficiency and climate change mitigation.
- Development of critical implementing instruments, such as: laws, implementing decrees, regulatory and financing instruments, in the areas of energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Provision of support in the establishment of appropriate institutions (e.g. renewable energy/energy efficiency national or regional agencies) and strengthening the capacities of existing institutions, especially institutions in charge of energy, environment and climate change.
- Support in the design and implementation of de-risking instruments/regulations for clean energy investments.
- Support of national and regional dialogue on relevant mitigation issues in the Energy sector, addressing also the issue of technology receptivity.
For Adaptation - technical assistance requests may include:
- Support to countries in conducting national climate change assessments and mainstream adaptation measures in national policies/strategies/programs related to the water and sanitation sector, such as national rural water and sanitation programs, urban water management policies and national water resources management plans/strategies.
- Identification of policy, institutional or organizational roadblocks that may be hindering integrated or sustainable adaptation measures, and provison of support and advice for their removal.
- Preparation of country-tailored guidance documents on climate change adaptation measures and financing opportunities (incl. “readiness” activities) with a focus on the water and sanitation sector.
- Advice for countries, implementing institutions and private sector stakeholders on how to strengthen the resilience of their water and sanitation sector investments, with regards to the impacts of climate change, and how to mitigate the risks emanating from climate change.
- Improvement of the readiness of communities and local authorities to better manage water resources and climate change impacts through awareness raising and support to institutional reforms, such as decentralization.
Technical Assistance requests should be addressed to the Secretariat of the ACTC.